Some time in the depths of 2018 Lamo asked Harlin about her long hair in regard to what it was like in living with it. She has incredibly long but very lush beautiful hair. He was rather surprised by her responses which we have now dug back out from the annuals of Harlam to post here for your education or is that enjoyment?
We are going to leave this in the raw, broken English grammatical format that it appeared in our original Harlam conversation. We feel that for this one Blog post rather than diminish it adds to the feel, humour and raw enjoyment it gave to Lamo when he first read Harlin’s thoughts.
For those of you who are blessed or burdened with long hair you may well agree with these points. They are written more for those thinking about growing their hair longer, for that reason here are the daily issues raised by Harlin in living with such length. Lamo thinks Harlin’s is the most amazingly beautiful hair ever.
The 15 Cons Of Having Long Hair (By Harlin)
1. You can never go out with open hair anywhere for a long time period… as they get tangled easily… unless your hair is super duper silky and smooth.
2. Always carry a comb. Have to.
3. Washing is never enjoyable unless it’s done by someone else in a hair saloon. With such a length…. bending over with your hair down not only hurts your spine but your neck as well… especially when it’s done for 10 to 15 mins. OUCH!You can never wash your hair in upright position, facing shower.
4. One wash is never enough. Cuz of the bulk you have to go for round 2. To make sure every root and tip has been washed.
5. Too much water wastage. I can never support and protest with “save water, save earth” crew. They’ll definitely kill me. 😂
6. after washing comes drying. Don’t ask how much time does it take to dry my hairy planet. Takes forever in Winters (even after blow drying) ….. takes more than 12 hrs to let em dry on their own. Well Summers are hair friendly.
7. Combing is more like cursing. Especially when done by others. Sorry mom. When mom was in charge of my hairy planet she used to oil my land before landing the comb. Smart. But oiling has to be limited during summers. Cuz you sweat a lot and all the oil starts to nourish your face instead of …. 😉 well you got it. Also our scalp produce its own oil naturally. Therefore, 5 to 6 drops would be enough but that doesn’t solve the problem of tangles. As a result hair gets pulled while combing. (Thank god I’mm brown not black. Otherwise Afro hair gene would have made go all bald, no kidding)
8. Tieing your hair is biggest problem. People think that long hair means more styling. An opportunity to experiment with your hair all the time. Well fuck no. Ain’t no body got time for that. It’s actually a headache. With length like this you could either go with a braid, low ponytail (if voluminous) or a bun. Ponytail (P) doesn’t last longer cuz it requires combing to avoid tangles. So on daily basis it’s either braid (B) or a bun (B) . High top Buns & Ps are the main reasons for headaches …. cuz of the burden (volume). It’s like balancing weight over your head and acting normal. Same as balancing books over head while ramp walking. So girls…. if you got less hair volume, be thankful! Cuz you can do whatever you like with your hair. Most importantly, let em flow freely.
9. Interrupts my sleep: I can never ever ever freely toss from one side to another while sleeping. Cuz they always get stuck under my head and upper body.
10. Say goodbye to wearing hoods. Man i love that type of clothing. For me to wear a hood is not that easy… i have to keep my hair under shirt to put it over my head. But i have found another solution. I use hood as a pocket/ storage box for my hair. It conceals my length 😂 and solves the problem of tangles. BOOM.
11. Even sitting is difficult especially when your hair are butt long. I used get my hair pulled by butt while sitting. (How weirdly funny is that!!) But not any more cuz I’ve chopped/ trimmed few inches …… and now they are only reaching my butt.
12. Hair fall: yes it’s normal and common. But irritating and saddening at some point when you see strands everywhere.
13. Colouring greys!!!! Wish i was a millionaire or if there was a permanent solution for it. Seriously it costs me a lot.
14. Nourishing is not an easy job because every time i think about treating my hair nice with eggs, curd, lemon, almond coconut oil… or even putting a hair mask …. they all follow washing…. which is cumbersome and tiring and time consuming. Thanks to mom for all of her effort when i was kid. Really thank you mom.
15. Shampoos and conditioner should be available like petroleum. Seriously, it’s my hair’s basic necessity!!!
I know it’s a hustle to manage such beauty but hey!!! They never disappointed me. They always bring me compliments. 😊
(c) Harlin & Lamo The Lion 2019